Find everything you need to make a unicorn cake
At a time when pastry contests are multiplying, when pastry lovers are becoming more and more numerous and competent, when there are countless pastry training workshops, instagram pages dedicated to the most beautiful cakes… It is normal to want for yourself or to offer the birthday cake that will make the difference, and what could be better than a unicorn cake 🍰
Block "14463" not found
Find below everything you’ll need to make a success of your “unicorn cake” as the Americans say.
Kitchen utensils :
- 1 round mould about 18 cm in diameter
- A silicone or stainless steel spatula
- An electric whisk or mixer
The ingredients :
For the cake :
- 5 eggs
- 410 g flour
- 2 sachets of baking powder
- 220 g caster sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 40 cl liquid cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla powder
For the trim :
- 300 g of spread
For decoration :
- 600 g white sugar paste
- 32 cl liquid cream
- 250 g white chocolate
- Food colouring
- black food felt pen
- 100 g golden sugar dough
- 1 skewer
Now here's the recipe to follow methodically
- STEP 1 : Prepare The Unicorn Cake. You can do it the night before to save time. Whisk the eggs and powdered sugar with an electric mixer until the mixture doubles in volume. Add the sifted flour and baking powder as well as a pinch of salt and vanilla powder. Mix well to obtain a homogeneous dough. Pour the liquid cream into a cold bowl and whip it into a whipped cream using an electric mixer. Gently fold it into the previous preparation. Pour the mixture into a lightly oiled 18 cm diameter mould. Bake in the oven for 1h15 (preheated to 160°C). Let the cake cool down.
- STEP 2 : Cut the cake in three in the direction of thickness. Fill each disc with spreadable dough. Superimpose the discs and cover the whole cake with a thin layer of spread.
- STEP 3 : Roll out the white sugar dough between 2 sheets of baking paper. Gently arrange the sugar dough on the cake so that it covers it. Cut off any excess sugar dough.
- STEP 4 : Form a sausage with the golden sugar dough and wrap it around the skewer pick. Prick the horn on the cake.
- STEP 5 : Pour 12 cl of liquid cream into a saucepan and heat it up. When the cream begins to boil, remove the pan from the heat and add the crushed white chocolate. Mix well to obtain a smooth mixture. Add the 20 cl of liquid cream and mix well again. Place 2 hours in the fridge. Divide the ganache into different bowls and add the colourings of your choice. Whisk with an electric mixer then transfer it to piping porches by grouping 3 colours in each pocket. Decorate Your Unicorn Cake.
- STEP 6 : Gently draw eyes on the cake with a black food pen. Shape the ears with a little white sugar dough and place them on the cake. Keep the cake at room temperature until ready to serve.
1- Instead of spread, you can also use peanut butter. For a gourmet touch, you can add 100 g of dark chocolate chips to the cake batter. Enough to delight all lovers of chocolate sweets!
2- If you find the horn making stage too difficult, you can buy the ready-made horn directly from our shop. In our anniversary collection, you will find not only the decoration for a unique birthday cake but also all the original decoration from the fairy-tale and magical world of unicorns on tablecloths, cups, assorted small and large plates and rainbow and unicorn balloons.
3- To delight your guests, you can prepare some accessories for them so that the party is really at its best. We offer unicorn headbands for each of your guests. Unicorn suits are also a great idea to make them completely immersed in your magical unicorn universe.
4- To make sure you don’t forget anything for your birthday party, we have written an article about our research on how to organize a unicorn birthday party?
Here is a video of another example of unicorn cake :
Block "14463" not found